Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Solstice!

It slowly occurs to me that I haven't posted anything new in over a month. I'm going to blame the end of the semester, but you're welcome to blame whatever you feel appropriate.

Today is, as you may know, the winter solstice. And, sadly, that means that it's the shortest day of the year: sunrise was at 10:56 AM, and sunset was at 2:43 PM, giving us less than four hours of daylight. Wahoo! I celebrated by waking up around noon and then biking on the Tanana River in minus 15 degree weather. It was an exhausting (and short) bike ride, but it offered some amazing views of the river and mountains, not to mention some awesome beard icicles.

Other than that, I'll be home sometime between Tuesday night/Wednesday afternoon, depending on whether I manage to escape from Chicago. It should prove easier than escaping from Los Angeles or New York, but I don't imagine I'll have to contend with a postapocalyptic society and rampant corruption. Wait, let's think about that last part.

Anyway, I hope you are all enjoying your break and/or winter, as the case may be. Merry Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Ramadan/Saturnalia/whatever you happen to celebrate at this time of year, and I'll hopefully be seeing some of you soon.That's part of the Alaska Range in the background (and a cross-country skiier). The picture on top is me, after I've returned home (thanks to Mary for taking the photo).

No comments: